Worldwide Delivery
Custom Personalisation
Manufactured in Scotland

Clan Seats of Scotland – Clan Menzies – Castle Menzies – Scotcrest Blog

Castle Menzies, Aberfeldy – Clan Menzies

castles menzies Clan Menzies

Serving as the stronghold of the chief of Clan Menzies for centuries, Castle Menzies is a wonderfully restored building located near the town of Aberfeldy in Perth and Kinross.

Thought to have been originally built in the 16th century, the Menzies family had already been living on the land where the Castle Menzies now sits for hundreds of years before and would originally control another castle at Comrie, four miles to the west.

It would be after a fire at their original home in 1488 that the chief of Clan Menzies, Sir Robert Menzies, 11th Baron, would choose to build a fortified mansion known as the ‘Palace of Weem’. This property would also be destroyed but the remains would be used as the base for the current castle which would be completed over the course of the 1600s.

The castle would see its first conflict in 1644 when the clan chief, Sir Alexander Menzies of Menzies, was attacked by royalist forces during the war of the covenant, the castlw would survive the damages, however, this would not be the end of the castle’s involvement in warfare, as it was captured and occupied in both 1715 and 1745 by Jacobite forces with Bonnie Prince Charlie sleeping there for two nights on the way north to his infamous last stand at Culloden.

It is around this time that the castle was expanded further as a new western wing was constructed using stone from a nearby quarry at Loch Tay and it would remain the family home until 1910 when it was sold to a selection of different buyers.

The castle would then slowly fall into disrepair, even being used a a store by the Polish Army during World War Two, before it was purchased for a mere £300 by the Clan Menzies Society in 1957. The society would spend the next 50 years restoring the now dilapidated castle into a worthwhile centrepiece for the Menzies Clan and it is now owned by the Clan Menzies Charitable Trust who run it as a visitor attraction which is open to the public.