Derived from the French ‘Jardin’ meaning ‘Garden’, the Jardine family were not necessarily descended from gardeners but instead, simply resided near one.
It was in 1066 that the Jardines would first come to the British Isles when the family of ‘du Jardon’ followed William the Conqueror as he came to England.
The first mention of the name in Scotland can be traced back to 1153 when Wmfredus de Jardin appears as a witness in charters at Kelso and Arbroath and the name would take many variants with a ‘de Gardinus’ and a ‘del Orchard’ both appearing in documents over the next few hundred years.
The chief line of the family does, however, appear to have settled at Applegirth on the River Annan in Dumfriesshire before the 14th century. They would eventually form a stronghold at Spedlings Tower (which was later abandoned in the 17th century) and finally across the river at Jardine Hall.
Today the clan chief of Jardine is Sir William Murray Jardine, 13th Baronet. He is also the president of the Jardine Clan Society.