It is generally accepted that the Lyon clan are descended from a French family called de Leon, who came to Scotland at the end of the 11th century.
The family would then be granted lands in Perthshire which were later called Glen Lyon and first appear in recorded Scottish history in 1105 when Roger de Leonne witnessed a charter at Dunfermline.
After the marriage of Sir John Lyon to the daughter of King Robert II in the late 14th century, the family were also granted lands at Tannadice on the River Esk and the barony of Kinghorne in Fife. The family are descended from this marriage until the present day.
The seat of Clan Lyon is at Glamis Castle in Angus, a beautiful castle which is still standing to this day and is still owned by the chiefly Lyon family today.
The clan chief currently in possession of the castle is Simon Bowes-Lyon, 19th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne.