Derived from the Gaelic Mac a’ Phearsain, meaning “son of the parson”, Clan MacPherson is believed to have been descended from a man named Muireach or Murdo Cattenach who was the priest of Kingussie in Badenoch.
The clan are traditionally associated with the Highlands and with the district of Badenoch – where they originated. The historic seat of the clan was at Cluny Castle which was destroyed during the Jacobite rising of 1714. Another mansion which was built soon after sits on the site.
The current seat of the chiefly family is Newton Castle in Perthshire. The current chief is Sir William Macpherson.