A common surname throughout the British Isles, the name Wood is topographic and was used to describe someone who lived or worked in a wood or a forest.
The Woods of Largo would be associated with Fife and particularly the village of Largo, which they include in their name. The historic seat of the clan is at Largo Castle in the area. The castle was originally built in the 15th century but was replaced by Largo House in 1750.
The current clan chief of clan wood is Joseph John Hugh Fawcett Wood of Largo.